Every couple of months we feature a seasonal cocktail here at the Hartstone Inn and in the restaurant. This winter, I was experimenting with a ginger syrup and combined it with some pomegranate juice to create this recipe, which yields 3 martinis (2 if you drink out of large martini glasses as I do!).
4 oz ginger syrup (recipe below)
5 oz vodka
1 oz pomegranate syrup (Monin is a good brand)
1 oz lime juice
2 oz club soda, cold
1. Place all of the ingredients except for the club soda in a cocktail shaker with 6 large ice cubes, cover and shake 10 times.
2. Strain into a martini glass and divide the club soda between the glasses. Garnish with a few fresh pomegranate seeds, a slice of fresh ginger root and/or a wedge of lime on the rim.
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups water
1/4 cup grated fresh ginger root
1. Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Add the grated ginger and allow the mixture to steep for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight, placing it in the refrigerator when it has cooled.
3. When cool, strain the syrup through a fine mesh strainer to remove all of grated ginger.