We serve these cookies here at The Hartstone Inn during our afternoon tea service. Guests often ask for the recipe so they can make them at home. For that reason, we thought it would be the perfect recipe to share on our blog.
Makes 24 cookies
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
jelly, jam or preserves of your choice
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar. Mix in the egg yolks and vanilla, followed by the flour, mixing well until a ball forms.
3. Roll into small balls (we use a #40 ice cream scoop to portion cookies) and press thumb into center. Place about 1 inch apart on a baking sheet lined with a nonstick baking mat or on a lightly greased baking sheet.
4. Fill center with any flavor jelly, jam or preserves.
5. Bake for 15–18 minutes or until lightly browned around the bottom. Transfer the cookies to cooling racks to cool.
Recipe copyright © 2009, Michael Salmon – Camden, Maine