We realize it’s sometimes difficult to love rainy days while you are on vacation but rest assured, there are still many fun things to do and see! We have put together this list of activities in Camden and the surrounding area.
- Ask us for a complimentary day pass to the Penobscot Bay YMCA located on Union St. in Rockport. Work out, climb the rock wall or maybe take a dip in the pool!
- Take a scenic drive along Chestnut Street to Beauchamp Point and visit Aldemere Farm – home of the legendary Belted Galloway (aka Oreo Cookie) Cows along the way.
- Visit the Ross Center at Merry Spring Nature Park in Camden
- Visit the Camden Public Library on Atlantic Ave. Great place just to hang out, enjoy the harbor view and use the WiFi.
- Go shopping, not only for rainy days! Here is a list of some of our favorite shops in Camden: Admiral’s Buttons, House of Logan, Margo Moore Interiors, Jo Ellen Designs, Glendarragh Lavender and Leonard’s.
- Go Antiquing- tons of shops in Camden – Rockport – Lincolnville area. Ask us!
- Get lost in a book at the Owl & Turtle Bookshop or Sherman’s Book Store in Camden.
- Visit the State of Maine Cheese Company on Rte 1 in Rockport or better yet, call them to set up a cheese making class or catch a demo: 207-236-8895.
If you would like to drive North:
- Take a short drive to Searsport and enjoy the Penobscot Marine Museum.
- Take a short drive North on Rte 1 to Swans Island Blankets and watch the weavers hard at work.
- Walk through the old stone corridors of Fort Knox in Bucksport. Then take a ride up the Penobscot Narrows Observatory, the tallest Bridge Observatory tower in the World. Open May – October.
If you would like to drive South:
- Visit the Owls Head Transportation Museum and have lunch at the Owls Head General Store.
- Explore the Farnsworth Art Museum in downtown Rockland – great Wyeth paintings and various visiting collections. Great shops & restaurants all around the museum!
- Check out the Project Puffin Visitor Center while in Rockland – see puffins in their natural habitat.
- Take in a movie at the Flagship Cinemas in Thomaston, the Strand in Rockland, or the Colonial Theater in Belfast.
- Candlepin bowling at Oakland Park Lanes! They have an arcade and pool table too.
- Visit Windsor Chair Makers in Lincolnville to catch a glimpse of beautiful furniture made locally.
- There is always something good to see at the Center for Maine Contemporary Art in Rockport.
- Venture to the Cellardoor Winery on Youngtown Rd. in Lincolnville or visit their tasting room at the intersection of Rte 1 and Rte 90 for some locally made wine.
- Visit the Sweetgrass Distillery and Savage Oaks Winery and have lunch at the Come Spring Café or the Badger Pub in Union.