Pumpkin is one of the great flavors of fall. What better way to enjoy it than in dessert!! If you are not ambitious enough to make this at home, come dine in our restaurant. We serve this dish at the Hartstone Inn throughout the season on our 6pm menu.
Pumpkin Crème Brûlée Recipe
by Chef Michael Salmon
5 egg yolks
1/4 cup plus 1 tsp granulated sugar
1 cup heavy cream
3 tbsp whole milk
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp each: nutmeg, ginger and allspice
mint for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Heat about one quart of water in a teakettle (or saucepan) for a hot water bath.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar. Add the pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice. and whisk in cream and milk,
3.Divide the custard mixture between four shallow 3/4-cup volume ceramic dishes. Place in a pan with at least one inch sides. Fill the pan with hot water about halfway up the sides of the dishes.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until firm. Remove from the oven and water bath and cool. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
5. To serve, evenly sprinkle the top of each crème brûlée with enough granulated sugar to cover. Using a torch, slowly begin to caramelize the sugar, moving the torch around a lot to prevent burning in any given area. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprig of mint.
Join Chef Michael Salmon at the Hartstone Inn and learn how to make pasta in your own kitchen. Techniques include making the dough, coloring and flavoring different pastas, rolling out and cutting various shapes of pasta, filling pastas such as raviolis and tortellini and cooking pasta. Specific dishes include: Spaghetti with a Creamy Prosciutto and Roasted Pepper Sauce, Pappardelle with Grilled Tiger Shrimp, Pesto and Oven Roasted Tomatoes, Sweet Potato Ravioli with a Pine Nut and Sage Butter Sauce, and Three-Cheese Tortellini with Chicken and Pesto. Classes are informative, entertaining, and of course, filled with delicious food. Weekend packages start at $357 and include two nights lodging, breakfast each morning, afternoon cookies and tea, a gourmet candlelit dinner for two and enrollment for one in the cooking class. Additional enrollment into the cooking class is $45 per person.
November 30 – December 2
Presented by the Atlantic Ballet Company at the Camden Opera House
Atlantic Ballet Company presents this colorful holiday production. A tradition during mid-coast Maine’s Christmas By The Sea weekend in Camden, this beloved classic story is a seasonal feature at the Camden Opera House. Accompanied by the sparkling music of Tchaikovsky, ABC’s talented professional and student dancers create a magical performance to entertain audiences of all ages. Tickets prices are: Adults $20, Children under 12 and seniors $14. Tickets will be available beginning mid-October at Hav II (Camden), the Reading Corner (Rockland), and the Personal Book Shop (Thomaston) and Opera House Video (Belfast).
Friday November 30 at 7:30 pm
Saturday December 1 at 3 pm
Sunday December 2 at 3 pm
For more information call 236-2395.
Christmas is a magical time of year here at the Hartstone Inn. The Inn is fully decorated and full of Christmas cheer. Come spend your holiday with us! To check room availability, click here.
Christmas Eve Dinner
Monday. December 24, 2012
- Lobster Cannelloni with Smoked Tomatoes
- Maine Shrimp Bisque with a Cognac Cream
- Tangerine Sorbet with a Splash of Champagne
- Braised Veal Osso Bucco with Herb-Smashed Potatoes
- Gingerbread Soufflé with a Spiced Crème Anglaise
Tuesday, December 25, 2012
- Rosemary- Seared Lamb Chops with a Hubbard Squash Custard
- Lobster and Sweet Potato Chowder
- Tangerine Sorbet with a Splash of Champagne
- Hartstone Inn Surf & Turf – Seafood Stuffed Lobster Tail with Mushroom-Seared Tenderloin of Beef
- Eggnog Soufflé with a Vanilla-Rum Crème Anglaise
Saturday, December 1, 2012
Lemon Mousse Trifle with Fresh Fruit
Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict on a Croissant with Hollandaise Sauce
Maine Lobster and Asparagus Quiche with Swiss Cheese
Cranberry and Apple French Toast with Cumin Spice Bacon
$23.95 per person
Enjoy both the fashion show and delicious food! Call 236-4259 to reserve your table.
Leave the cooking to us and spend your Thanksgiving holiday at the Hartstone Inn! Our Thanksgiving Dinner Package includes two nights lodging, sumptuous breakfasts each morning and a five-course gourmet Thanksgiving dinner for two. Upon arrival, find champagne and homemade chocolates in your room. Price is $90 in addition to room charge (double occupancy). Click here to check room availability.
We have two seating times for our holiday dinner, 2:00 pm or 5:30 pm. The menu is as follows:
- Lobster and Spaghetti Squash Timbale with a Butternut Beurre Blanc and Cranberry Gastrique
- Portabella Mushroom Soup with a Dry Sherry Cream
- Cranberry-Lemon Sorbet
- Rosemary-Roasted Turkey with an Apple-Sausage Dressing and Scallion-Smashed Potatoes
- Pumpkin Soufflé with a Spiced Crème Anglaise
As always, we are happy to accommodate dietary restrictions or food allergies.
Sunday Oct 7, 2012 7:00 PM
“Celebrating 15 years as a stand-up comic, Bob Marley is one of the hottest and most sought-after comedians in the country. He has been featured in his own special on Comedy Central, and is one of the few comics to do the complete late- night TV circuit: The Late Show with David Letterman, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Late Night with Conan O’Brien and The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson and Craig Kilborn. “
General admission tickets are $22.50 and are available here and at HAV II (no fee).