We have added a new mojito to our cocktail list here at the Hartstone Inn just for the summer! Enjoy them at home with this easy recipe.
6-8 fresh mint leaves
2 1/2 ounces of mint simple syrup
1 ounce of coconut rum
1 1/2 ounces of club soda
1-2 ounces of mango puree
the juice of one lime
To make the mango puree, combine 1 peeled + chopped, ripe mango in a food processor (or high speed blender) with the juice of 1 lime, and process until smooth (or at least almost smooth).
In the bottom of a glass, add 1 ounce of simple syrup and the mint leaves. Muddle with a muddler or use the clean bottom of something blunt, like a screwdriver! Add ice to the glass, and pour rum, syrup, mango puree, lime juice and club soda over top. Mix and serve with an additional sprig of mint. ( Recipe makes one mojito.)
It is not too late to plan a family getaway! We still have openings this summer and fall for our 4 and 5 bedroom rental homes, Harbor Watch Cottage and Camden Cottage. We’ve just decreased the weekly rate by $200. Not only that, if you book for September or October of this year, we’ll also throw in a $100 Hartstone Inn gift certificate. Check rates and availability here.
We’re always trying to come up with new ideas to surprise you and as we celebrate our 16th summer we’ve decided it’s time to add some surprises to our restaurant menu. We’re excited to introduce our new à la carte menu with seating times between 5:30pm – 8:30pm. For life’s special occasions, our five course Chefs Tasting Menu will still be offered every evening as well. It will change nightly to utilize the freshest ingredients and challenge our Chef’s creativity.
July 13-26, 2013
- Greek Salad with Feta Cheese, Cucumber and Tomatoes. Basil-Oregano Dressing $9.50
- Mosaic of Maine Seafood – Our signature chilled Seafood plate including Lobster, Scallops, Shrimp and more $19.75
- Chilled Summer Gazpacho with Maine Shrimp, Chive Sour Cream and Herbed-Crostini $8.25
- Parmesan Risotto with Oven Roasted Tomatoes and Duck $10.50
- Grilled Salmon Tapenade with Israeli Cous Cous, Zucchini Ribbons and Tiger Shrimp $22.50
- Cavatappi Pasta with Grilled Chicken, Peas and Roasted Peppers in a Garlic Cream $19.95
- Seared Short Loin Steak with Gorgonzola Butter, Crispy Onions, Grilled Vegetables and Shallot Smashed Potatoes $25.50
- Slow-Poached Maine Lobster with a Sweet Corn Custard, Sugar Snap Peas and a Lemon Beurre Blanc $26.75
- Grand Marnier Soufflé with an Orange Crème Anglaise $9.50
- Rum Raisin Crème Brûlée with Spiced-Short Bread Cookies $7.75
- Peach Cobbler with Homemade Cinnamon-Vanilla Ice Cream $8.50
- Hartstone Sorbet Trio with Diced Fresh Fruit $7.25
July 27-Aug. 9, 2013
- Summer Caprese Salad with Heirloom Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella and Basil with a Balsamic-Olive Oil $11.50
- Pan-Crisped Spinach Gnocchi with Roasted Chicken Thighs and Red Bell Peppers $10.75
- Grilled Hearts of Romaine with Pancetta, Maytag Blue Cheese and a Vidalia Onion-Dressing $9.75
- Hartstone Lobster Lover’s Sampler – Fresh from the Sea with Four Delicious Preparations $19.75
- Parmesan-Crusted Cod Fillet with Garlic-Tiger Shrimp and an Arugula-Pesto $22.50
- Sautéed Beef Tenderloin with a Shiitake-Cabernet Butter and Grilled Vegetables $25.25
- Steamed Maine Lobster over Angel Hair Pasta with a Vanilla Beurre Blanc $27.50
- Herb-Grilled Pork Chop with Soft Gruyere Polenta, Green Beans and a Madeira Cream $24.75
Desserts (additional $5)
- Maple-Walnut Soufflé with a Maine Maple Crème Anglaise $9.50
- Maine Blueberry Crème Brûlée with a Lemon Madeleine $7.75
- Chocolate Ganache Tart with a Raspberry-Star Anise Sauce and Almond Tuile $8.25
- Hartstone Sorbet Trio with Diced Fresh Fruit $7.25
207-236-4259 for reservations
We realize it’s sometimes difficult to love rainy days while you are on vacation but rest assured, there are still many fun things to do and see! We have put together this list of activities in Camden and the surrounding area.
In Camden and in general:
- Ask us for a complimentary day pass to the Penobscot Bay YMCA located on Union St. in Rockport. Work out, climb the rock wall or maybe take a dip in the pool!
- Take a scenic drive along Chestnut Street to Beauchamp Point and visit Aldemere Farm – home of the legendary Belted Galloway (aka Oreo Cookie) Cows along the way.
- Visit the Ross Center at Merry Spring Nature Park in Camden
- Visit the Camden Public Library on Atlantic Ave. Great place just to hang out, enjoy the harbor view and use the WiFi.
- Go shopping, not only for rainy days! Here is a list of some of our favorite shops in Camden: Admiral’s Buttons, House of Logan, Margo Moore Interiors, Jo Ellen Designs, Glendarragh Lavender and Leonard’s.
- Go Antiquing- tons of shops in Camden – Rockport – Lincolnville area. Ask us!
- Get lost in a book at the Owl & Turtle Bookshop or Sherman’s Book Store in Camden.
- Visit the State of Maine Cheese Company on Rte 1 in Rockport or better yet, call them to set up a cheese making class or catch a demo: 207-236-8895.
If you would like to drive North:
If you would like to drive South:
written by Meghan Small, Hartstone Inn General Manager
At the Hartstone Inn, we like to keep our guests current on what is new on the local “foodie” scene. This includes of course, the opening of new restaurants. Last Tuesday, I decided I would try the recently opened Salt Water Farm Cafe and Market first hand.
Upon entering SWF, which is located in the Union Hall building in downtown Rockport, I was greeted by their market It offers a variety of products, primarily from Maine. I noticed high quality oils, vinegars, local cheese and spring greens. There were also nonfood items such as copper pots, cookbooks and ceramics. Owner Annemarie Ahearn also owns a salt water farm (hence the name) in Lincolnville which allows them to source fresh produce, eggs and other items for both the market and cafe.
As for the restaurant/cafe, they have both indoor and outdoor seating. I desperately wanted to sit outside and enjoy their amazing view of Rockport Harbor, but it was raining so I was forced to remain inside. The dining room however, was both comfortable and inviting. I ordered the Spanish tortilla with chorizo, Swiss chard, potatoes and caramelized onions. It was served with a SWF sunflower seed salad. I also enjoyed a soy cappuccino. All were tasty and it was fun to watch some of the preparation in their exhibition style kitchen.
SWF”s restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. Dinners are served “family style” and they also offer a three course brunch on Sunday’s. In addition, they offer house-made pastries and bread along with a wine selection and coffee bar.
It is always fun to experience new restaurants in the area. Salt Water Farm did not disappoint.
A summer stay at the Hartstone Inn just isn’t complete without a day sail on one of the many windjammers in the Camden Harbor. We highly recommend the Schooner Surprise for a 2-hour day trip out into Penobscot Bay. Captain’s Jack and Barbara offer wonderful hospitality on their 57-foot schooner. With a maximum of 18 passengers (children over 12 years old only), the Surprise experience is very intimate allowing passengers to hoist sails and listen to some of Jack and Barbara’s sailing adventures. They have some stories to tell! The Surprise sails from May to October and snacks are offered during the sail. Visit their website here.
Book our Whatever Floats Your Boat Package and we’ll send you off on your sail with a lobster roll picnic lunch. You’ll also enjoy a five course dinner for two in our restaurant.
The annual Carol Sebold Harbor Arts Juried Arts & Crafts Shows will be held at Harbor Park in Camden, on July 20 & 21 from 9am to 5pm. Bring your family and friends for this two-day celebration of the arts. The event is free and open to the public. Featured fine works include watercolor, oil, acrylics, and pastels blend with spectacular photography, sculpture and mixed media, as well as exquisitely designed jewelry, metal and woodcraft, pottery and fine-crafted furniture.
Find more information here.
The North Atlantic Blues Festival, one of the more prestigious blues music festivals on the East Coast, will run for two days, July 13 and 14, 2013. The event will be held at the Public Landing in Rockland, Maine, overlooking picturesque Rockland Harbor. Find more information here.
Event date/time: June 11, 2013 – 6:00pm – 9:00pm
Join Cellardoor Winery for a very special Artist Series dinner featuring their guest of honor, artist Harold Garde, on Tuesday, June 11th at their Farmhouse in Lincolnville. The evening will honor Mr. Garde’s 90th birthday and will feature select pieces of work as well as a four-course dinner prepared by special guest chef, (our very own) Chef Michael Salmon of the Hartstone Inn in Camden. Seats for this dinner are limited, so be sure to secure yours soon!
$85 per person.
Advanced purchase required.
Seats are limited; please call (207) 763-4478 to reserve your seat.
Find more information here.