“Chefs that are Innkeepers” is the title of this article (written by Pamela Delaney) in Inns Magazine. Delaney, a former restaurant owner, interviewed two Chef/Innkeepers in a quest to find out why there are not more chefs that own inns.
The December 2007 issue of Port City Life Magazine features an article on the Hartstone Inn and Chef Michael. The cover of the magazine reads “Camden Tarts,” and inside you will find an article by contributing writer Mindy Favreau titled “Festive Fruit Tartlets.” The article gives a brief background of the Inn and highlights Michael’s recipe for Macadamia Nut and Wild Blueberry Tartlets with Ginger Ice Cream.
New York City – Greenwich Village – James Beard House – October 1, 2007.
Chef Michael Salmon prepared dinner at the James Beard House in New York City on October 1, 2007 for 80 guests. The menu, chosen to bring awareness to Maine Tourism, focused on Maine Lobster. In fact, 240 lobsters (or 3 lobsters per person) were cooked, picked, transported and prepared for the evening.
Flanked by his wife Mary Jo and a staff of friends and Inn guests, Michael prepared 4 passed Hors d’oeuvres (each containing lobster) for the reception and a five-course menu with lobster as the key ingredient in the first four courses.
Slideshow of event: Hartstone Inn – James Beard Dinner
- • Maine Lobster Toast view photo
- • Cucumber and Dill Panini with Riesling Poached Maine Lobster Tails view photo
- • Gruyere Funchi Rounds with Maine Lobster Claws and a Spicy Lemon Aioli view photo
- • Parmigiano-Reggiano Crisps with Maine Lobster Knuckles and a Smoked Tomato Confit view photo
N/V Carpenè Malvolti Rosé Cuvée Brut, Veneto
8:00 pm Seated Tasting Menu – 5 course dinner
- • Maine Lobster and Scallop Timbale with a Roasted Pepper Coulis and Fennel Slaw view photo 2006 Condes de Albarei Albarino, Rias Baixas
- • Red Curry of Maine Lobster with Jasmine Rice view photo 2005 Villa Wolf Gewurztraminer, Pfaltz
- • Roasted Sweet Potato, Rutabaga and Green Apple Soup with a Maine Lobster Cream view photo 2004 St. Michael Eppan Pinot Bianco Schulthauser, Alto Adige
- • Lazy Man’s Maine Lobster with a Vanilla Beurre Blanc and Crisp Zucchini-Spaghetti Cake view photo 2004 Garofoli Podium Verdicchio dei Castelli de Jesi Superiore, Marche Warm
- • Maine Blueberry and Macadamia Nut Tartlet with Ginger Ice Cream view photo
2000 Royal Tokaji Wine Company Red Label 5 Puttonyos, Hungary
- • Hartstone Chocolates view photo
photos courtesy of Joan Garvin
Click on the following link to read the article: http://www.boston.com/travel/articles/2007/10/28/camden_inn_makes_its_cuisine_a_drawing_card?p1=email_to_a_friend