Who says sumptuous can’t be low calorie? Sometimes (like in January every year), Chef Michael pulls out a healthy recipe or two. This beet recipe is one of our favorites and also adds some flare to your fruit and vegetable intake.
Healthy Recipe 2020: Beets in Romesco Sauce
- 2 pounds fresh beets
- 3 plum tomatoes
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 Dried Mild Pepper “New Mexico” style 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced French bread
- 1/4 cup sliced blanched almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sherry wine vinegar
- Trim the stems and thin roots from beets. Cover in saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Simmer covered for 1 hour.
- Make Romesco sauce: Roast tomatoes and garlic in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes. In a small saucepan, combine mild pepper and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes (reducing liquid by half).
- Heat 1 Tablespoon of the oil in a small saute? pan and fry the diced bread until they are golden brown. Put in food processor. In the same pan, brown the sliced almonds. Add the toasted almonds to the food processor and run until smooth.
- Add the crushed red pepper, boiled dried pepper with juice, roasted tomatoes, garlic, salt and pepper to the food processor. Blend well.
- Keep running and add sherry vinegar and drizzle in remaining olive oil. Serve at room temperature.
- When the beets are cooked, rinse under cold water and remove their skins. Cool and slice.
- Toss in Romesco sauce just before serving.